I finally have a practice and mixing studio! Previously being hold up in a corner of a cluttered basement, it’s a great feeling. The room I moved into is adjacent to my old space and housed my woodworking shop and, over the years as I used the tools less and less, a storage area. I used the tools for many years as I built different projects for the house and small furniture items – mostly given away to family. But, for the past several years, I’ve not used the tools. So I sold them to a young fellow in the neighborhood who is just getting started. They are now in good hands.
After the tools were gone, I started cleaning up and patching the walls where the dust collection tubing was attached.EMPTY ROOM
Next, my wife and I painted the room. She has a real eye for great color combinations.NEWLY PAINTED STUDIO
Next on the list was to hang the acoustic treatment. I did move my desk, iMac and monitors in so I could properly position the sidewall treatment.
I used Auralex products for the acoustic treatment and am very happy with them. The quality of the material is great and installation for a breeze.
I did alter the method of install a bit. Auralex packaged several tubes of Tubetak with the panels and traps. They suggested to smear the tacky goo on the backs and smooth into place. I wanted a way to install them that didn’t destroy the newly painted walls.
So, I used card stock cut into 2″ by 2″ squares and velcro dots. (My wife had the card stock laying around and was able to use her cutter to cut it to size.)CARD STOCK SQUARES WITH TUBETAK
I smeared some TubeTak on the back of the square and smoothed into place – one square for each corner on the tiles.SQUARES ON FOUR CORNERS
Then, I attached the velcro dots. (I let the TubeTak cure for a couple hours before hanging the bass traps, but didn’t bother with the small 1′ by 1′ tiles.)SQUARE WITH VELCRO DOT
I’ve had one bass trap come down, but that was due to poor placement on the wall. I stuck it back up, making sure all of the velcro dots were touching the walls and so far so good. (I used 6 velcro dots on each of the two wall-facing sides of the bass traps.)
So, here’s the finished studio.FINISHED WORK AREA
EIGENHARPS ENJOYING NEW HOME
BACK OF ROOM
CLOWNY LIKES IT
COMMAND CENTRAL (AS WIFE CALLS IT)